Monday, August 6, 2012

My Best Kept Secret



Since I love to perform, it only seems fitting that I would continue over the summer. It is true that I do musicals over the summer, but I do them at somewhat of an inhuman speed. I participate in a workshop called Lovewell. Lovewell is an amazing program like nothing else I have ever heard of or come in contact with. The thing that sets Lovewell apart is the fact that the students write the show.

Yes I am serious.

In three weeks teenagers ages 14-18 will write, rehearse, and perform a full length musical. I know that sounds insane, as it did to me before I tried it. There is also a junior program in which kids ages 9-13 will write, rehearse, and perform a full length musical in four weeks. I have been going to Lovewell for four years and have participated in eight original productions. This year was my first year in the teen group and it was incredible.

At Lovewell the students have help from staff members who assist the writing and rehearsing process. Most of the staff members are past Lovewell students, but some are just people who want to get in on the wonderment that is Lovewell. This year I had the privilege of working with Kait Kerrigan, a very well known playwright on and off Broadway; Nathan Tysen, a former Lovewell student whose   musical Tuck Everlasting is coming to Broadway; and Jacob Jeffries, another former Lovewell student, the lead singer/pianist of the up-incoming Jacob Jeffries Band.

Let me take you through a typical teen (3 week) process. The first week is spent brainstorming an idea for our original musical. We usually sit in a huge circle and just say any ideas, no matter how out there, that we have thought of. It is hard at first to come up with an idea or concept that everyone agrees on, but usually by Thursday or Friday of the first week we have a concept and characters that most everyone is happy with. The next step is to come up with an out line, or basic plot points, for the show. During a quick process you may be able to start or even finish your opening number on Friday. The second week is simple: We write. We break up into character groups and write scenes and songs. As the end of the second week roles around you are usually done with Act One of the show, have learned about half of the songs you will be performing, and are either beginning or are in the middle of Act Two. Week Three is hectic but fantastic. It is the week we put the show on its feet. You are simultaneously writing, learning, and staging songs or scenes. Sometimes (not very uncommon) we will finish writing the show the day before or even the day of our opening night!

As I was writing this I realized how incredibly impossible and crazy it sounds, but I assure you that it is completely true. You may be thinking that there is no way that the musicals could be good, and you are right. They aren't good....they are outstanding. You would never know that these musicals were written in three weeks by high school students, and even when you do know it is hard to believe.

Even though the shows turn out amazing, the whole experience is about the process. The friends and memories that I have made at Lovewell will last a lifetime. It just goes to show you that with the power of creativity, everything is possible.

Until next time,
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment