Friday, August 3, 2012

Competition

My name is Samantha and I live to perform. The excitement I feel when I am on stage is like none other. I love sharing my passion with others and getting feedback. On this blog I'll post about shows I've been in, shows I've seen, and other performance stories. Enjoy!

This year I was part of my schools Jr. Thespians Troupe. If you aren't familiar with Jr. Thespians, it is a theatre competition in which middle schoolers compete in events such as duet music, solo music, monologue, small group scene, and pantomime.

After I auditioned this year I was assigned to duet and solo musical. For my duet musical song my teacher chose the song Residuals.....No one had ever heard of it before. It wasn't a common theatre song like most people in Thespians do, nor a very musical theatre type of song. I hated it.

After our first rehearsal I was already tired of the song. I was upset and feeling annoyed, but as time passed it grew on me. I became more comfortable with the piece and I began to get excited.

Then the day came. We stood in front of the table of judges and my hands were shaking. We introduce ourselves and the music started. My nerves all channeled into performance energy and we were doing amazing. As we finished I saw the judges beaming back at us and one even started clapping.

At the end of the day we were waiting for all of the Critics Choice(best act in the category) winners to be announced. The list was up and the duet musical winner was.....not on the list. What? All of the other categories besides us were up. Five minutes....Fifteen minutes..... Forty minutes.....nothing.

Then it was posted and.....we won! We screamed like our hair was on fire and I even started crying. I was so overjoyed. It was one of the proudest moments of my life. Until....we won again at States!

It just shows you that with dedication, practice, and passion you can accomplish anything.


If anyone has any performance stories, tips, or comments that they would like to share, I would LOVE to hear them!

Until next time,
Samantha


No comments:

Post a Comment