Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Memory Movements

Today I am going to give a tip that I have found very useful. I think that one of the most tedious and stressful parts about being in shows is memorizing lines. Your brain can only hold so much, and I know that my brain just doesn't want to make room for the endless flow of lines that I have to remember. When I have short lines to memorize, maybe one or two sentences, I can often remember them once I hear the context of the scene. But what about when I have to remember paragraphs? Often times paragraphs cover multiple topics, which often don't even seem to flow together. So what do I do? I make up movements. Not a dance just simple hand gestures on key words. It is easier for me to remember the flow of the movements rather than the flow of the words. I have found this to work extremely well. If you repeat the gestures, they will eventually get stuck in your brain, and they are easier to pull back out rather than jumbled words and sentences.

For example if I had to memorize:

"The cat jumped over the fence and landed on its feet. "

I might make an arching motion with my hand to remember the word "jumped," then I might make a fist for the word "landed," and then point two of my fingers downward to remember "legs."

I have found this simple trick to be very helpful, and I hope you do too.

Until next time,
Samantha


No comments:

Post a Comment